Thursday 6 July 2023

But does she go?

Carburettor "tickled" to fill with fuel; kick engine over a few times to get some oil circulating; switch on and ...  


Woohoo! 

So the next question is "will she move?" Clutch in; select first gear; stall. Oh dear.

I had a severe case of clutch drag - i.e. not fully disengaging, which caused it to stall. I reset the adjustment as per the manual but without any improvement, so then stripped the clutch down, as I thought that maybe the plates were partly stuck together after being assembled but then not used for a year or so.


Everything came apart fine, but I did find that the plain metal plates still had quite a lot of pitting left on them. I had wire brushed off all of the corrosion before I assembled it last year (caused by 40 years of storage - see below) but this time I cleaned the plates up more thoroughly on the belt sander to get rid of all of the surface pitting.



After reassembling the clutch, most of the drag had gone. I think that there is a little bit remaining that is caused by the new friction plates being very slightly thicker than spec, which seems to be a common problem according to the forums. That should wear away fairly quickly in normal use I think.

Anyway, I put everything together; wheeled her out to the front of the house and...

...even bigger Woohoo! 

After a little tweaking of the air screw, I got a couple of spins around the block and everything pretty much worked as it should. Hard to believe after building her from a box of parts!




  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment