Saturday 12 February 2022

Wheels - 2; Building the New Rims

The box of goodies duly arrived and much researching on You Tube ensued to see how others have laced up the rims! It actually wasn't too difficult to get the whole thing together - the more difficult part was adjusting everything up to run straight and true (more of that in a later post).




This is the rear wheel - I started with that because it has a 6" brake hub, whereas the front is 7". My reasoning was that the longer spokes were a bit easier to learn on. I laced up one side of the hub first, following the pattern that I'd copied from the old wheels. 


It all becomes pretty obvious what goes where once you start, as the spoke dimples in the rims are aligned to the direction and side that they are going to. I just did the nipples up very loosely at this stage.


Then flipped over and did the same for the other side. Some of the spokes were difficult to get into the right place and I had to undo some of those I'd already done to get it all in place. In hindsight, I think it would actually have been easier to install both sides' spokes before starting to fit the nipples.

I had to apply a fair bit of downwards force on the rim to get it to take up the offset, but nothing excessive.

Ta da! All laced up and roughly equal tension on all the spokes.


The front was exactly the same process.


This was just the first part though - my DIY method for truing them required the frame to be rebuilt, so they were set aside for a little while.







No comments:

Post a Comment